So What’s the Best?
We’ve covered our top 5 picks for grass in Minnesota. To recap:
- Kentucky bluegrass is the most cold-tolerant, but also has the highest maintenance requirements.
- Perennial ryegrass is less cold-tolerant than Kentucky bluegrass. It also has high maintenance requirements. Its main advantage is how fast it grows.
- Fine fescue is the lowest maintenance seed and it also fares very well in the cold . Its main disadvantage is its vulnerability to foot traffic and heat.
- Tall fescue is the most drought and heat resistant seed. It requires a moderate amount of maintenance and is known for its versatility.
- Artificial grass is a unique option that withstands all climates and virtually eliminates any maintenance requirements. Its main drawback is its inherent “artificial” nature, as many prefer the overall look and feel of a real grass lawn.
Based on your willingness to do maintenance, aesthetic preferences, and specific climate, each option could create a great Minnesota lawn. But you asked what the best was. Here’s our insight.
So what’s the best grass for Minnesota? It depends.
- Kentucky bluegrass – The best grass in Minnesota for lawn enthusiasts. While it requires the most maintenance, it also produces the most durable, lush aesthetic.
- Fine fescue is the best grass in Minnesota for those seeking low maintenance. That’s because it does great in the cold and has the lowest maintenance requirements of all our real grass options.
- Artificial grass is the best grass in Minnesota for the innovators. It requires virtually no maintenance, and creates a flawless year-round aesthetic. Its great for those who value modern appeal and are willing to break from the mold of traditional lawns.
In conclusion, our final pick is awarded to the Kentucky bluegrass. It is the best, most cold-tolerant and physically appealing grass for Minnesota climates.
However, we think artificial turf is a solid pick for the adventurous.
We are American Greens, Midwest-based artificial grass suppliers and installers. If you’re interested in exploring the benefits of installing a synthetic turf lawn for your Minneapolis or surrounding home, give us a shout. We’d love to chat.